Thursday, May 28, 2009

Obtained Quest: Application Development

My first real quest! I have had several mini quests before this one, but they were just that - mini. And this is why I start off in this story/blog as a level 7 programmer and not level 1. This may also be a clue to why in some games your characters do not start at level 1. I know I once wondered this but lets avoid from getting completely distracted from what's really important - The Quest!

So this quest was presented to me by the NPC, Matthew Muldoon, the CEO of FITS (Fire Instructor Testing Software) aka my father in law. Once thing I would like to clear up is that I was not presented this quest because I married his wonderful/beautiful/lots of other good things daughter but because, like in all games, only the hero can receive quests. Moving along, Here is an overview of the FITS products.

"With the FITS Quiz Generator and Question Files, you can assemble, customize and print a multiple choice test in minutes instead of hours. Sold only to Fire Service instructors and trainers- not to your trainees.
" - FITS Website

The mentioned Quiz Generator is the software FITS and their clients use. Basically, it allows users to both create questions and store them in a question bank as well as make quizzes using the questions from a question bank. The developer of the Quiz Generator became too busy to continue supporting it and this is where I come in.

I was presented this quest to develop a new Quiz Generator that would shake the very foundation of this world...or at least provide the user with a fresh and simple interface to carry out more or less the same task as the predecessor.

I actually received this quest in about November of 2008; however, development did not really start until sometime in February 2009. I have been working on this quest while I finished up my final semester at San Jose State University and just last week I received the key item "diploma" (BSCS). With lots of hard work and many hours of playtime put into this quest I am finally nearing the completion of it.

The next number of posts will focus on the development of this project and what really went into both designing and developing this application from the ground up. Stay tuned!

*saved game*

No comments:

Post a Comment