Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Quest Log: Weapon of Choice

I was pleased with the UX for the most part but not the UI. One thing about me is that I expect only the best from myself and wont settle for anything less. Such as when I am developing software, I constantly strive for a professional level regardless if it is an application or game.

As I began to push WinForms in attempt to create a rich UI/UX, I realized that maybe WinForms did not have the stats I needed for this project. Thus I began to consider alternatives. The two alternatives I considered were...
  1. Qt
  2. Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
I had heard of Qt through some job searching and had researched it some. So one day I set out to test the strength of Qt. I started off with some easy low level monsters - probably slimes. Before I had gather much XP (experience points) with Qt, I remembered hearing of something called 'WPF'.

I had heard of WPF a few times before while talking to NPCs but had never seen what it could do. After a little researching, I saw that WPF has some amazing power and versatility when it comes to creating a good UI/UX. Here are a few screenshots of WPF applications that I found on the web.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

With WPF I would be able to continue development with C#, Visual Studio, and of course the .NET Framework, but I would have a more flexible UI. This was exactly what I was looking for! Needless to say, I quickly cast aside WinForms and decided to take up this new found power. Now all I had to do was learn how to wield it...

*saved game*

No comments:

Post a Comment